As every week, special teams are honored during the player of the week awards, but this time, the recipients must be put at the head of the gondola. Robbie Gould and Daniel Carlson are integral to why their respective teams will make the playoffs. The 49ers kicker even had to work twice, as a kicker and as a punter, after Mitch Wishnowsky’s injury, for a more than honorable result. Carlson, he allowed the Raiders to win for the 4th time of the season in overtime, the 3rd thanks to a field goal from him. This is the 4th time he has been rewarded this season, a record for a kicker.
His teammate Maxx Corsby also shone in the win over the Chargers. A performance worthy of a full season, during which he twice won the defensive prize in the AFC, in the first and last week. Ryan Tannehill, he was essential to allow the Titans to validate the 1st place in the conference for the playoffs, in a game tighter than expected against the Texans. His role will be major in the games to come, while the return of Derrick Henry is not yet certain.
In the NFC, Dak Prescott delivered an XXL passing performance in an offensive display against the Eagles. 5 touchdowns, his career high, which concludes a full regular season in style, before the playoffs in which the Cowboys are expected to turn. The Lions beat the conference leaders, the Packers, to the surprise of many. Tracy Walker, the safety, delivered a very high level match with 13 tackles and 1 interception. This is his first career award.
– Offensive: Ryan Tannehill (QB, Titans): 23/32 for 287 yards, 4 touchdowns and a rating of 138.9 in a win over the Texans.
– Defensive: Maxx Crosby (DE, Raiders): 2 sacks, 6 tackles (3 tackles for loss), 3 assists defended in a win over the Chargers.
– Special teams: Daniel Carlson (K, Raiders): 5/5 on Field Goals (including the winning Field Goal), 2/2 on extra points in a win over the Chargers.
– Offensive: Dak Prescott (QB, Cowboys): 21/27 for 295 yards, 5 touchdowns and a rating of 151.8 in a win over the Eagles.
– Defensive: Tracy Walker (S, Lions): 13 tackles and 1 interception in a win over the Packers.
– Special teams: Robbie Gould (K, Cardinals): 2/2 at Field Goals, 3/3 on extra points, 2 punts for an average of 45 yards, including one from 20 yards in a victory against the Rams.